Thursday, June 26, 2008

7 Blocks and I Can Barely See You


So there is this situation in Chicago that has been overlooked by many. Garbage. It's a problem, maybe not as big of a problem as New York, but still a problem. And really it's not the garbage neccessarily that I am taken by it's the garbage that never makes it to it's rightful home. There is tons of garbage that is placed on the ground everyday. Just the other day infact somebody was drinking a can of coke on the bus and before getting off, puts the can on the bus floor and walks off. I wanted to scream out and let him know he forgot his can of pop, but decided I was too tired to do any such thing. As he was walking off though I saw him pass a Garbage canister. I mean how hard is it to simply hold your garbage for a couple of steps and dispose of it properly. Well I know how hard it is. I know littering is an issue. But why? I will, for the sake of argument, give the benefit of the doubt that people are genually good and don't want to litter, but understand that it becomes the only option sometimes. Yeah I guess people can carry garbage all the way hope, but it's hasseful and messy, here are a couple of reasons for why people do such things.

One: My friend brought up the idea that because the city does street cleaning, and on many occasions the street is not actually clean, the money spent on that ticket that he receives for not having moved his car can go back to the city by him throwing garbage back on to the floor. It makes sense to him, so I assume this somehow works in his favor.

Two: There are not enough garbage cans. I mean seriously the city of Chicago has about 1 garbage can or container every mile and it is always on the opposite side of the street. I was walking today with a piece of wrapper in my hand for about 7 blocks before I hit an intersection where there was a garbage can, and there was only 1. Hell if it wouldn't have come up I would've thrown it on the floor. It's not fun walking with something in your hand in the heat and under the sun and not being able to get rid of this musty and now wet piece of something that you're holding.

No comments: